#2. Classic attention experiment (1-minute video)

Let’s try this fun experiment, conceived by Simons and Chabris for their classic study on sustained inattentional blindness.

–>You will watch a brief video clip, and your challenge is to count how many times that the players wearing white pass the basketball.

Next brain teaser in SharpBrains’ top 25 series:

1. i dunno says:

This is pretty interesting. I did see the gorilla, and counted only 27 passes. There were a few ‘fake” passes. Does anybody know the correct #? The study on the stranger asking directions, and changing as the door passed is very interesting. Great website. Glad to find it!

2. kirsti says:

haha seriously didn’t see the gorilla until i read someone had seem him. i was only focused on the balls. counted 29-30 i think.

3. Denis says:

haha i counted 29 times, i saw the gorilla but did not process the idea that he walked in

4. terry woodruff says:

i counted 31 passes , there may have been more but the dam gorilla got in the way.

5. Seanathan McAndrew says:

Saw this in class last week. It totally got me.

6. johnny says:

I counted 34, 1 gorilla, and noticed that the white shirt team and black shirt team don’t pass each other the basketball but rather they keep one ball between the white shirts and one between the black shirts.

7. Larry says:

I watched it twice, but I counted 34 passes.

8. Crystal says:

I counted 30 times, and noticed someone go through the group, but DID NOT notice it was a gorilla. After reading the posts and going back to watch it, I was amazed at how it stopped to pound it’s chest and slowly and deliberately it was moving. I didn’t notice but a moving shape!

Categories: Attention and ADD/ADHD, Brain Teasers, Cognitive Neuroscience, Education & Lifelong Learning, Health & Wellness, Professional Development

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Welcome to SharpBrains

As seen in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, CNN,, and more, SharpBrains is an independent market research firm tracking applied brain science. Explore our most popular resources HERE.
Enter Your Email to receive Sharp­Brains free, monthly eNewslet­ter:
Join more than 50,000 Sub­scribers and stay informed and engaged.