Classic attention experiment

Do we all have “atten­tion deficits”? Or is there some­thing else going on?

Let’s try this lit­tle exper­i­ment, con­ceived by Simons and Chabris for their clas­sic study on sus­tained inat­ten­tional blind­ness (1999).

–>You will watch a brief video clip, and your chal­lenge is to count the total num­ber of times that the bas­ket­balls change hands.

PS: Enjoy these 50 brain teasers to test your cog­ni­tive abil­ity. Free, and fun for adults of any age!

1. i dunno says:

This is pretty inter­est­ing. I did see the gorilla, and counted only 27 passes. There were a few ‘fake” passes. Does any­body know the cor­rect #? The study on the stranger ask­ing direc­tions, and chang­ing as the door passed is very inter­est­ing. Great web­site. Glad to find it!

2. kirsti says:

haha seri­ously didn’t see the gorilla until i read some­one had seem him. i was only focused on the balls. counted 29–30 i think.

3. Denis says:

haha i counted 29 times, i saw the gorilla but did not process the idea that he walked in

4. terry woodruff says:

i counted 31 passes , there may have been more but the dam gorilla got in the way.

5. Seanathan McAndrew says:

Saw this in class last week. It totally got me.

6. wdawda says:

7. johnny says:

I counted 34, 1 gorilla, and noticed that the white shirt team and black shirt team don’t pass each other the bas­ket­ball but rather they keep one ball between the white shirts and one between the black shirts.

8. Larry says:

I watched it twice, but I counted 34 passes.

9. Crystal says:

I counted 30 times, and noticed some­one go through the group, but DID NOT notice it was a gorilla. After read­ing the posts and going back to watch it, I was amazed at how it stopped to pound it’s chest and slowly and delib­er­ately it was mov­ing. I didn’t notice but a mov­ing shape!

Categories: Attention and ADD/ADHD, Brain Teasers, Cognitive Neuroscience, Education & Lifelong Learning, Health & Wellness, Professional Development

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,