Interesting market news:
Dakim’s [m]Power Adopted by 150 Senior Living Communities … (Business Wire)
- “Dakim Inc. announced today that its [m]Power® Cognitive Fitness System has now been adopted by more than 150 senior living communities”
- “Users include Sunrise Senior Living, Front Porch Communities, Diakon Lutheran Services, Ecumen, Eskaton, Benchmark Assisted Living, and Los Angeles Jewish Home for the Aging. Several neurologists and a local Alzheimer’s Association chapter office have also purchased the system.”
- “Other products are static. You buy a CD, put it in the computer, and that’s it. People get bored and stop using them. Dakim has found a way to keep people coming back to challenge their ability, and that’s what our residents are doing. (said said Douglas Edwards, Director of Fund Development for Westminster Gardens in Duarte, California, part of the Southern California Presbyterian Homes)
Comment: senior living is one of the obvious areas where computerized cognitive training (or “brain fitness programs”) has a brighter future to complement and enhance existing health and wellness programs in scalable ways, as we covered in our Market Report. We are no longer surprised by the weekly press releases announcing a new “brain fitness center” in community XYZ. Now, what I find interesting is that last quote by Douglas Edwards, which I interpret as a direct commentary on the Posit Science Brain Fitness program, the other leading vendor for the senior living communities market.
For related articles,
- Report Highlights: including our estimate of 400 residential facilities offering these kind of tools by end of 2007
- 10-Question Evaluation Checklist: for anyone considering buying a program
- Build Your Cognitive Reserve-Yaakov Stern: interview with a leading Cognitive Reserve researcher, on the potential value and limitations of computerized “brain fitness programs”.