#1. The Stroop Test: Great brain teaser to challenge your mental vitality and flexibility

stroop-testReady to test your mental vitality and flexibility?

Quick — say aloud what color you see in every word, NOT the word you read.

Go from left to right, from top to down. Ready. Set. Go!

—-

Not easy, right? This task is called the Stroop Test, and is used in neuropsychological evaluations to measure mental vitality and flexibility, since performing well requires strong attention, inhibition and self-regulation capability (also called executive functions).

Next brain teaser in SharpBrains’ top 25 series:

1. Bill Wright` says:

try focusing on the last letter of each word to see only the actual color

2. Kyriakos says:

I just made my vision blurry so I cannot read just see the colors:)

3. maya says:

woah that was kinda realy hard. like at first it was eaasy but then i saw how it changed and it was hard for my brain to try and say the right color! it was fun though:]

4. Raghu says:

I was able to correctly identify the color when started from bottom.

5. pavan says:

hey another way of going through easily is just look at the color, and dont let your brain read the spelling at start. Then you can easily go through this. It worked for me!!

6. Bernie says:

Poses no problem
    for those who are
    literate.

7. Bernie says:

The rest of you are
    fuckwits.

last word doesn’t
    pass the spellchecker,
    but check:

8. Anoop Jayaram says:

Nice & Simple One! enjoyed it.

it challenges our brain’s tendency to scan through words.

9. ardit says:

it was very easy for me.
    maybe because i was tired and my brain forgot to focus on the meaning of the words…
    funny.. the best way is not to try hard

10. Tammy says:

if you blur your vision its really easy because you cant c the words!

11. Constantina says:

I progressed through the first two lines and then got mixed up as i went through the other lines. I have to observe the instructions properly.

12. Florence says:

Read from the bottom and it was faster. Concentration slows down when read from top to bottom. Great exercise !!! Thanks.

13. Brenda Kane says:

I cheated and took my glass off! Worked fine and fast.
    I put them back on and it was much more difficult.
    Hope I’m not one that looks but doesn’t see.
    Thanks, fun.

14. Tom says:

If you needed to be literate you probably didn’t understand the exercise. bet you got most of them wrong.

15. I have always had my own trick when doing things like this. I just make my sight blurry, so all I can see is the color shown and not be able to read the word. [:

16. tuaua says:

I recently done the test in my neuropsychological assessment.I had a stroke 2yrs ago. I moved thru test slowly, found it hard to focus & concentrate but after I gave it a few go’s I got the hang of it .It’s ideal for brain training & stimulation along with all other brainteasers.

17. Aley Lawrence says:

I can do it easily by blurring my vision through narrowing my eyes

18. michelle says:

it gave me a headache

19. Bob Beaver says:

A most interesting exercise, particularly as one is conscious (aware) that the brain is struggling against what the eyes see and what the mouth wants to say. I enjoyed the exercise, but then again, being an educated Englishman my brain always fascinates me.

20. Khalil says:

Well it was to say second time. I used a trick, I did not see the complete words while saying, I just concentrate on the color of last alphabet of the word, did not look the whole word at all, in just second attmept the result was 100%..cool
    KA