Brain teaser: the Tower of Hanoi planning puzzle

cognitive puzzlesToday we have a clas­sic plan­ning puz­zle, good for our Frontal Lobes and exec­u­tive func­tions, devel­oped by math­e­mati­cian Edouard Lucas in 1883 and fre­quent­ly used in neu­ropsy­cho­log­i­cal eval­u­a­tions.

–> PLAY the Tow­er of Hanoi online

More brain teas­er games:

1. eleanor says:

The Mind­Fields Col­lege blog has linked to you, I hope you don’t mind!
    We love read­ing your posts!

Eleanor, I am very hon­ored about that! Let me go fur­ther, and say I am very hon­oured 🙂

NB: will have to spend more time at your blog and Mind­Fields col­lege. From a first look, it seems we are on a very sim­i­lar wave­length!

3. eleanor says:

How humourous of you, neigh­bour!

I’m glad you liked the look of our blog — as you can see we have only just begun it, and all read­ers are wel­come.

We pub­lished an extract from Elkhonon Gold­bergs book ‘The Wis­dom Para­dox’ in issue 48 of the Human Givens Jour­nal ear­li­er this year, I just noticed that he is on your advi­so­ry board, what a coin­ci­dence!

4. Don says:

7 moves, 13 sec­onds first try. Is that good, bad or aver­age?

5. Valentina says:

i would real­ly like to know what don wants to know… i had 7 moves 11 sec­onds.. where do i stand?

Both of you are right: 7 moves.

I am not aware of a nor­mal­ized table for speed…but 11–13 sec­onds is very good based on the times we have shown this exer­cise dur­ing our class­es.

7. miss says:

7 moves in 7 secs 🙂

8. eric says:

omg i did auto­solve for 12 pegs..takes 4095 moves @.@

Miss, very impres­sive!

Would you like to try Eric’s sug­ges­tion 🙂

10. carlos says:

this web­site is great. a cou­ple of years ago I start­ed to expe­ri­ence a con­stant decrease in my mem­o­ry when read­ing, remem­ber­ing what i read and much dif­fi­cul­ty to con­cen­trate to do any­thing from remem­ber­ing the roads when i am dri­ving to names num­bers an so on,what exer­cis­es are bet­ter to improve my mem­o­rie an con­cen­tra­tion and be able to remem­ber an talk eas­i­er about the thing i read??
    I would be very grate­ful if you can give me some guide­lines.
    Thanks and best wish­es.