Brain teaser: the Tower of Hanoi planning puzzle

cognitive puzzlesToday we have a clas­sic plan­ning puz­zle, good for our Frontal Lobes and exec­u­tive func­tions, devel­oped by math­e­mati­cian Edouard Lucas in 1883 and fre­quent­ly used in neu­ropsy­cho­log­i­cal eval­u­a­tions.

–> PLAY the Tow­er of Hanoi online

More brain teas­er games:

1. eleanor says:

The Mind­Fields Col­lege blog has linked to you, I hope you don’t mind!
    We love read­ing your posts!

Eleanor, I am very hon­ored about that! Let me go fur­ther, and say I am very hon­oured 🙂

NB: will have to spend more time at your blog and Mind­Fields col­lege. From a first look, it seems we are on a very sim­i­lar wave­length!

3. eleanor says:

How humourous of you, neigh­bour!

I’m glad you liked the look of our blog — as you can see we have only just begun it, and all read­ers are wel­come.

We pub­lished an extract from Elkhonon Gold­bergs book ‘The Wis­dom Para­dox’ in issue 48 of the Human Givens Jour­nal ear­li­er this year, I just noticed that he is on your advi­so­ry board, what a coin­ci­dence!

4. Don says:

7 moves, 13 sec­onds first try. Is that good, bad or aver­age?

5. Valentina says:

i would real­ly like to know what don wants to know… i had 7 moves 11 sec­onds.. where do i stand?

Both of you are right: 7 moves.

I am not aware of a nor­mal­ized table for speed…but 11–13 sec­onds is very good based on the times we have shown this exer­cise dur­ing our class­es.

7. miss says:

7 moves in 7 secs 🙂

8. eric says:

omg i did auto­solve for 12 pegs..takes 4095 moves @.@

Miss, very impres­sive!

Would you like to try Eric’s sug­ges­tion 🙂

10. carlos says:

this web­site is great. a cou­ple of years ago I start­ed to expe­ri­ence a con­stant decrease in my mem­o­ry when read­ing, remem­ber­ing what i read and much dif­fi­cul­ty to con­cen­trate to do any­thing from remem­ber­ing the roads when i am dri­ving to names num­bers an so on,what exer­cis­es are bet­ter to improve my mem­o­rie an con­cen­tra­tion and be able to remem­ber an talk eas­i­er about the thing i read??
    I would be very grate­ful if you can give me some guide­lines.
    Thanks and best wish­es.

Categories: Brain Teasers, Cognitive Neuroscience, Professional Development, Technology, Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , , , ,

All Slidedecks & Recordings Available — click image below

As seen in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, BBC News, CNN, Reuters, and more, SharpBrains is an independent market research firm and think tank tracking health and performance applications of brain science.