Very interesting collection of recent news…let’s connect some dots
1) Great article titled Boom time for retirees (Financial Times)
- “By 2015, boomers will have a net worth of some $26,000bn (£12,750bn, ¬17,670bn) equivalent to a year’s gross domestic product for the US and eurozone combined. They will control a larger proportion of wealth, income and consumption than any other generation in the country the first time that consumers over 50 have held such sway over the world’s largest economy.”
- “But as the boomers aged by 2015 they will all be outside the fabled under-49 cohort corporate America failed to grow old with them. Marketing experts argue that the continued focus of large companies such as P&G and Gap on the youth of “generation and “generation” overlooks a simple statistic: the 18–49 age group will grow by only 1m people in the next 10 years, compared with the 22.5m Americans set to enter the 50-plus bracket.”
- “The last thing the [boomer] generation needs is a company that tells them they need tools to address their lack of dexterity, he says. “They don’t want geriatric tools, they want cool stuff.
Main take-way: baby boomers are always “awake” and reinventing things…companies, advertisers, time to wake-up!
Full article: Boom time for retirees
2) The article is based upon this excellent McKinsey report [Read more…] about Cognitive Health and Baby Boomers: 6 Points to Keep in Mind