SedLine is a producer of EEG monitoring devices that are used to determine the state of a patient during anesthesia or sedation. Their product is based on research showing that EEG activity follows predictable patterns as the brain falls asleep, and that these patterns are the same if an anesthetic agent is used. By filtering out artifacts and applying a PSI (Patient State Index) algorithm to the signal, SEDLine’s device assigns a value from 0 to 100, with 100 meaning the most awake. SEDLine was acquired by medical device company Masimo in 2010.
- Location: Irvine, CA
- Stock Ticker: NASDAQ:MASI
- Number of employees: <100
- Pervasive neurotech US patent grants: 4
- Pervasive neurotech US pending applications: 0
*Sedline (a Masimo company) ranked #20 in SharpBrains’ Pervasive Neurotech IP Strength Index, thanks to patents such as:
- US6301493: Reservoir electrodes for electroencephalograph headgear appliance
- US6430437: Module for acquiring electroencephalograph signals from a patient
- US6317627: Anesthesia monitoring system based on electroencephalographic signals
- US6128521: Self adjusting headgear appliance using reservoir electrodes
To learn more about SharpBrains’ take on the organization’s #PervasiveNeurotech IP portfolio, and overall data and trends, click on Pervasive Neurotechnology: A Groundbreaking Analysis of 10,000+ Patent Filings Transforming Medicine, Health, Entertainment, and Business.