BodyMedia was founded in 1999 to pioneer technology in wearable devices for health and wellness monitoring. Their 24-hour monitoring devices were primarily intended to help consumers make behavioral changes so as to manage weight and activity levels, but they have also been used to gather information on obesity, cancer, COPD, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and sleep, among other conditions. BodyMedia was acquired in 2013 by Jawbone.
- Location: San Francisco, CA
- Number of employees: 100–999
- Pervasive neurotech US patent grants: 4
- Pervasive neurotech US pending applications: 5
*BodyMedia ranked #7 in SharpBrains’ Pervasive Neurotech IP Strength Index, thanks to patents such as:
- US7261690: Apparatus for monitoring health, wellness and fitness
- US7285090: Apparatus for detecting, receiving, deriving and displaying human physiological and contextual information
- US6595929: System for monitoring health, wellness and fitness having a method and apparatus for improved measurement of heat flow
- US8073707: System for detecting, monitoring, and reporting an individual’s physiological or contextual status
To learn more about SharpBrains’ take on the organization’s #PervasiveNeurotech IP portfolio, and overall data and trends, click on Pervasive Neurotechnology: A Groundbreaking Analysis of 10,000+ Patent Filings Transforming Medicine, Health, Entertainment, and Business.