After a very busy month, it’s time now for SharpBrains e‑newsletter to summarize the latest initiatives, tools and ideas for lifelong brain health and mental fitness — and to share a few puzzles and illusions to tease your brain.
A growing number of classrooms in China are equipped with artificial-intelligence cameras and brain-wave trackers. Video: Crystal Tai for The Wall Street Journal.
New neuro-infused education and healthcare initiatives:
- China is harnessing brain-wave trackers and artificial-intelligence to raise better (and more compliant?) students
- Report calls for wide classroom-based adoption of ten brain fitness programs designed to improve foundational executive functions
- The National Health Service (NHS) in the UK considers adding a 5‑minute cognitive test to its annual health check-up
- CVS Health: Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) apps may help you more than sleeping pills
New neurotech and digital health tools:
- What does the Facebook acquisition of CTRL-Labs mean for Neurotechnology and Augmented & Virtual Reality?
- Startup Aural Analytics raises $4.3M to monitor neurological health by analyzing speech patterns
- Will personalized meditation apps be able to replicate the experience of working with a coach?
- IBM, VA and Total Brain to test digital mental health platform for veterans and reservists
New thinking on brain and mental health:
- Two great professional development opportunities with renowned neuropsychologist Dr. Elkhonon Goldberg
- Apple/ Eli Lilly’s bet: Wearable and mobile consumer devices may well help us detect cognitive impairment and dementia
- May “industry review boards” contribute to the wider adoption of virtual and augmented reality for physical and mental health?
Finally, a few fun brain teasers for adults and kids alike 🙂
- Tease your brain with the Hermann Grid illusion
- Brain teaser to test your pattern recognition: Fill the void
- Math brain teaser requiring no math — just perception and cognition
Have a great month of October,
The SharpBrains Team