Electroencephalography is a decades-old technique for capturing brain activity, data that are used to evaluate brain disorders. Beacon Biosignals is applying artificial intelligence to these tests, and the neurotechnology startup has found a ready market in pharmaceutical companies interested in assessing how their experimental brain therapies are working. Now Beacon Biosignals has something else: $27 million in financing. [Read more…] about Beacon Biosignals raises $27M to scale EEG, AI-based neurobiomarker discovery platform
AI May Help Identify Patients With Early-Stage Dementia (The Wall Street Journal):
Researchers are studying whether artificial-intelligence tools that analyze things like typing speed, sleep patterns and speech can be used to help clinicians better identify patients with early-stage dementia. [Read more…] about Next: Analyzing typing speed, speech and sleep patterns to identify cognitive decline, dementia, Parkinson’s, and more
Time for a new edition of SharpBrains’ e‑newsletter, featuring a range of research findings, resources, brain teasers and riddles to help translate emerging neuroscience into real-world applications and improve our collective brain & mental health.
- Neuroscience tips about gratitude, aging, pain and the brain: An interview with Dr. Daniel Levitin
- What’s normal? When it comes to the brain, it’s hard to say, and that’s why we need to study global neurodiversity
- Will self-driving vehicles lead to a surge of brain training?
- How to remember what you read: Eight tips to improve reading speed and cognitive ability
- To boost your mental well-being, simply recall, right now, an act of kindness
- Machine-learning study finds EEG brain signatures that predict response to antidepressant treatments
- Study finds combined pharma + non-pharma treatment most beneficial to help youth with ADHD address long-term academic difficulties
- Ambitious International Brain Initiative (IBI) launched to advance global neuroscience research
- Large study finds positive yet mixed results from Akili’s digital therapeutic for kids with ADHD
- U.S. Army develops novel way to analyze brain imaging data and shape emerging non-invasive neurotechnology
- Meditation app Headspace raises $93 million to accelerate clinical validation and geographic expansion
- Digital mental health taking off in Europe
Fun brain teasers:
- Train your brain to think outside the box with these fun riddles
- Three illusions to test your perceptual and cognitive skills
- Math brain teaser: Will you finish your thesis on time?
Have a great month of March,
The SharpBrains Team