“You’ve probably heard this phrase before: “I’m just getting older”…The explanation should be used with caution, though. Often, I tell my patients not to blame something they are experiencing on “just getting older,” because they might miss something that could be treatable [Read more…] about Fact: Multiple factors can contribute to memory problems…and “getting older” is often not the main one
“Scientists have introduced a novel method of administering brain stimulation that requires no implants or external connections. By injecting magnetic nanoparticles into the brain, researchers have found that they can manipulate neurons by applying external magnetic fields [Read more…] about Non-invasive brain stimulation meets nanotechnology
“According to the World Health Organization’s large-scale studies, about a third of the adult worldwide population suffer from a mental disorder such as depression, anxiety and schizophrenia. If also taken together with neurological disorders, such as dementia and stroke, these “disorders of the brain” account for [Read more…] about Why “disorders of the brain” deserve at least equal attention as cardiovascular diseases and cancer
Virtual Reality is Here. Can We Play With It? (The New York Times):
“…I can assure you that virtual reality works. Technology is no longer the limitation. The lingering question is what game designers, artists and filmmakers should do with it…Oculus VR sold [Read more…] about New virtual reality platforms for brain health assessments and therapies: Oculus Rift, Morpheus
We are proud to release today what we believe is our best market intelligence report so far, tracking how fully automated applications designed to assess, monitor and/ or enhance cognition and brain functioning are transforming brain health, and health overall.
Here are a few examples of what we mean by Digital Brain Health, selected from among the 5 Market Leaders and 10 Companies to Watch in 2013/2014 identified through our comprehensive analysis.
- A 30-minute online brain health assessment and personalized brain fitness program used by large companies like Nationwide Insurance and Accenture to improve employee’s productivity and mental wellness
- An online cognitive training program offered by several large AAA chapters to members age 50+ to improve driving safety
- A computerized cognitive behavioral therapy offered by the NHS in the UK as a first-line intervention for anxiety and depression
- A fully digital headset and platform that measures basic brain states (such as level of attention) and is being used to help people meditate better and reduce ADHD symptoms
- An iPad-based assessment that tracks cognitive performance over time to help detect concussions among football/ hockey players and military personnel [Read more…] about New market report analyzing the growing Digital Brain Health market 2012–2020
Antidepressants linked to risk of brain bleeds (Chicago Tribune):
“People using a common class of antidepressants may have slightly increased odds of suffering bleeding in the brain — though the risk is still very small, researchers reported Wednesday…The antidepressants are known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), and include widely used drugs like fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft), citalopram (Celexa) and paroxetine (Paxil).” [Read more…] about SSRI antidepressants linked to increased risk of stroke