Heads-up: Alvaro Fernandez will speak at the 2013 Neuroleadership Summit taking place next week in Washington, DC, with an overall theme of “The Neuroscience of Leadership Effectiveness.” His session is titled Technology Solutions and promises to spark stimulating conversations: [Read more…] about Neuroleadership, Human Capital and Technology in Washington, DC next week
Update: Time to become mental capitalists and invest in our brains?
Time for the November edition of the monthly SharpBrains eNewsletter, featuring a wealth of resources and insights on how to invest in our brains, including topics such as brain health, meditation, neuropsychology, brain training games, chemo brain, dyslexia, neuroplasticity, cognitive biases, stress, and more. Not to forget a couple of fun teasers. Enjoy!
- Transcript: Alvaro Fernandez on Mental Capitalism and Non-invasive Cognitive Enhancement
- Transcript: Dr. Gary Small on Enhancing Memory and the Brain
- Transcript: Dr. Paul Nussbaum on Meditation and Neuropsychology
The Big Picture:
- Steve Jobs: Computers are the Bicycles of the Mind
- Brain Fitness: Definition, Priorities, and Links to Neuroleadership, by Alvaro Fernandez
- Is the University Centered on The Learner or the Professor?, by Miguel Angel Escotet
- Grand Rounds: Best of Health and Medical Blogging, by Alvaro Fernandez
- Can Brain Training Games and Biofeedback Help Prevent Depression, by Dr. Pascale Michelon
- ‘Chemo Brain’: MRI Shows Brain Changes After Chemotherapy
- Dyslexia not related to intelligence. Implications for discrepancy model?
- Veterans learn to use yoga and meditation exercises to reconnect with their emotions
- Applied Neuroplasticity: Rewiring the Brain to Ease Pain
- What makes your brain happy and why you should do the opposite, by David DiSalvo (We’ll have a Live Q&A on December 9th)
- How cognitive illusions blind us to reason
- The Series on Stress & the Brain, by Dr. Jerome Schultz, continues with: The Little Brain Down Under, The Stress Response Explained, The Human Brain Likes to Be in Balance, To Fight, Flee or Freeze –That is the Question
- Math Teaser: Unfinished Thesis, by Maria Lando
- Math Teaser: How to Choose a Mans Shirt, by Maria Lando
- How many Share This Article links, right below, do you know how to use? Try a couple of them and share via Facebook and Twitter!
Thank you for your interest and attention and have a great December.
Brain Fitness: Definition, Priorities, and Links to Neuroleadership and Human Capital
Yesterday we had a fun session on Brain Fitness during the Neuroleadership Summit taking place now in San Francisco, exploring opportunities to enhance performance and health of leaders and workforces by deploying both old tools (like breathing and meditation) and new ones (such as biofeedback and database-driven personalized brain training solutions). Here are a couple of the main ideas I wanted to introduce:
A. Let’s define Brain Fitness as an “integrated approach to enhance brain functionality”, combining as appropriate lifestyle, invasive and non-invasive options. “Brain fitness” is above all an outcome, a culture, similar to “physical fitness” (jokingly, I also said that “brain fitness” is the part of “physical fitness” that “physical fitness” doesn’t yet know what to do with)
B. Then, the question becomes, “what are the most important brain functions to enhance/ develop/ maintain?”. Here I shared the following results [Read more…] about Brain Fitness: Definition, Priorities, and Links to Neuroleadership and Human Capital
Upcoming Talks on Applied Neuroscience, Brain Fitness and Adaptive Organizations
A quick FYI — I will be speaking at the following events. Please do come and say Hello if you get the chance!
> September 19–20th, San Francisco, CA: Translating Neuroscience Into Marketable Therapeutic Interventions, at the Entertainment Software and Cognitive Neurotherapeutics Society (ESCoNS). Details Here.
> September 23rd, Los Gatos, CA: The SharpBrains Guide to Brain Fitness, at Los Gatos Public Library. Details Here.
> November 8th, San Francisco, CA: Brain Fitness for Adaptive Organizations, at the 2011 NeuroLeadership Summit. Details Here.