Blue Note Therapeutics, Inc., today announced the closing of a Series A financing round of $26.25 million. Proceeds will allow the company to scale the organization and fund near-term clinical trials of its lead prescription digital therapeutic (PDT), which will potentially improve the treatment of cancer. The capital will also support the development of Blue Note’s pipeline assets. The Series A financing was led by JAZZ Venture Partners and joined by Summer VC. [Read more…] about Blue Note Therapeutics raises $26M to help treat cancer-related distress via cognitive behavioral stress management (CBSM)
The FDA granted Minneapolis-based NightWare a De Novo clearance on Friday for its Apple Watch and iPhone app designed to improve the sleep quality of those experiencing nightmare disorder and nightmares related to PTSD. [Read more…] about FDA grants clearance for NightWare app designed to reduce PTSD-related nightmares
Welcome to a new edition of SharpBrains’ e‑newsletter, featuring 13 fascinating brain research findings, useful resources–and a brain teaser to test your attention skills.
#1. Good news of the month: Elders today are in significantly better shape–physically and cognitively–than three decades ago
#2. A distinction WITH a difference: Actual, sustained practice–not mere knowledge–is needed to harness neuroplasticity and improve cognition over time
#3. “Be mindful that with the rapid changes we are experiencing, our brains are going through accelerated learning. Our brains get tired just as our bodies would if we ran a marathon without training.” How COVID-related stress can disrupt your brain circuits and nine tips to prevent it
#6. Which is why we look forward to seeing 9,000+ students, plus their many teachers and administrators, further develop their unique brains and minds in years ahead: Helping shape the future of lifelong learning via SEK Education Group
#7. “… it would certainly be premature to suggest that moving to a high altitude state would improve a child’s ADHD symptoms. However, the findings highlight the value of keeping an open mind in efforts to understand the development of ADHD and the role natural environments may play in potentially alleviating it.” Study finds surprising correlation between states’ elevation and ADHD prevalence
#9. Time to start paying serious attention to the brain/ cognitive side effects of common medications. Anticholinergic drugs found to significantly increase risk of cognitive decline, especially among those with Alzheimer’s Disease biomarkers or genetic predisposition
#10. Fascinating: “After a 14-day training period … visuospatial skills improved by 40%. This increase in visuospatial ability was shown to be directly responsible for a reduction in motion sickness by 51% in the simulator … and a 58% reduction in the on-road trial.” Study: Self-driving cars will increase motion sickness…unless we retrain our brains to improve visuospatial skills
#11. Behavioral health and neuroplasticity meet big pharma to hopefully address a huge need. Click Therapeutics and Boehringer Ingelheim partner to develop and market a digital therapeutic to treat schizophrenia
#12. Neuralink: Thumbs up or down?
#13. Brain teaser: Did you notice the numerical error as it happened? If not, feel free to go back and find it now 🙂
Wishing you a safe and healthy October,
Alvaro Fernandez and the SharpBrains Team
International pharma Boehringer Ingelheim and prescription digital therapeutics company Click Therapeutics have inked a $500 million-plus deal to jointly develop and commercialize a digital treatment for patients with schizophrenia. [Read more…] about Click Therapeutics and Boehringer Ingelheim partner to develop and market a digital therapeutic to treat schizophrenia
Pear gets FDA clearance for insomnia therapeutic (MedCity News):
“Pear Therapeutics received marketing authorization for its third product — a digital therapeutic intended to treat chronic insomnia. Called Somryst, the app is available by prescription only. It consists of a nine-week program that includes cognitive behavioral therapy and restricting sleep to a limited window of time [Read more…] about The FDA clears Somryst, Pear’s digital therapeutic to treat chronic insomnia
Time for a new edition of SharpBrains’ e‑newsletter, featuring a range of research findings, resources, brain teasers and riddles to help translate emerging neuroscience into real-world applications and improve our collective brain & mental health.
- Neuroscience tips about gratitude, aging, pain and the brain: An interview with Dr. Daniel Levitin
- What’s normal? When it comes to the brain, it’s hard to say, and that’s why we need to study global neurodiversity
- Will self-driving vehicles lead to a surge of brain training?
- How to remember what you read: Eight tips to improve reading speed and cognitive ability
- To boost your mental well-being, simply recall, right now, an act of kindness
- Machine-learning study finds EEG brain signatures that predict response to antidepressant treatments
- Study finds combined pharma + non-pharma treatment most beneficial to help youth with ADHD address long-term academic difficulties
- Ambitious International Brain Initiative (IBI) launched to advance global neuroscience research
- Large study finds positive yet mixed results from Akili’s digital therapeutic for kids with ADHD
- U.S. Army develops novel way to analyze brain imaging data and shape emerging non-invasive neurotechnology
- Meditation app Headspace raises $93 million to accelerate clinical validation and geographic expansion
- Digital mental health taking off in Europe
Fun brain teasers:
- Train your brain to think outside the box with these fun riddles
- Three illusions to test your perceptual and cognitive skills
- Math brain teaser: Will you finish your thesis on time?
Have a great month of March,
The SharpBrains Team