Time for SharpBrains’ July e‑newsletter, featuring fascinating scientific findings, emerging brain health practices and insights…and some fun teasers.
Let’s start with the key take-aways from a new and very insightful evidence review which found nine modifiable risk factors for dementia — accounting for 35% of all cases:
— Education by age 15 (during early life)
— Hypertension; Obesity; Hearing loss (in mid-life)
— Depression; Diabetes; Physical inactivity; Smoking; Low social contact (in later life)
- Report: 35% of worldwide dementia cases could be prevented by modifying these 9 modifiable risk factors
- Study shows how practicing gratitude can help train your brain and improve mental health over time
- With 25% of US physicians aged 65+, hospitals test older doctors on mental and physical acuity
- “Our health starts and ends with brain health” — Dr. Sandra Bond Chapman, at the 2016 SharpBrains Virtual Summit
- Four Ways to Upgrade Brain Health in the Digital Age
- Call for nominations and applications @ Global Teacher Prize 2018
- Brain Health Challenge by MIT Solve (Submissions due August 1st)
- Reminder and Discount Code: BrainFutures 2017 to take place September 6–7th in Washington, DC
- 2017 SharpBrains Virtual Summit: Brain Enhancement in the Digital Age (December 5–7th, 2017), featuring a stellar “Sharp Tank” of Judges shaping brain-related innovation in healthcare, education, the workplace, and general quality of life.
Finally, you may want to Test your Brain and Mind with these 9 Classic Optical Illusions 🙂
Have a great August!
The SharpBrains Team