Pattern Recognition Brain Teaser

Here’s a puz­zle to test your abil­i­ty to find a pat­tern and test it against more data.

In this table, each row across fol­lows the same pat­tern of num­bers. See if you can dis­cern the pat­tern and fill in the miss­ing num­ber in the bot­tom row. For added chal­lenge (or com­pe­ti­tion), time how long it takes you to com­plete the puz­zle. Then, pass it along to some­one else and see if they can solve it faster. The slow­er one has to cook din­ner!

7 4 8
3 9 7
6 5 10
? 8 4

Exec­u­tive func­tions, like plan­ning, and spa­tial pro­cess­ing are han­dled by your frontal lobes.

Have you solved it yet? If not, here’s a hint:

If you read your fig­ures like words in the West,
then mul­ti­ply your efforts and sub­tract the rest.

Keep read­ing for the answer and solu­tion.

(7x4)-8 = 20

(3x9)-7 = 20

(3x8)-4 = 20

The answer is 3.

More brain teas­er games:

1. Beth_x says:

I think 7 lol 🙂 cyaa xx (i just guessed btw) haah! x

2. Michael Vogt says:

Blast! Why was the solu­tion at the bot­tom of the page? I glanced at it before I had a chance to attempt the puz­zle. Why not make it so you have to click to find the solu­tion so you don’t acci­den­tal­ly see it?

3. Lmnop says:

Yay, I got 3 also. I’m not usu­al­ly amaz­ing with math, so I’m very sur­prised that I got it. But I solved it the exact same way as ican­rule. Great minds think alike, I sup­pose 😉

4. Lmnop says:

Oh, and, as a ran­dom addi­tion, I found anoth­er pat­tern. In the 1st and 3rd lines, the mid­dle num­ber is the low­est num­ber, while the out­side two are high­er, and lines 2 and 4 are the oppo­site. That’s the first pat­tern I was try­ing to fol­low.

5. johnboy says:

i have streets but no pave­ments i have cities but no build­ings i have for­rests but no trees i have rivers yet no water what am i

6. Joseph Knecht says:

john­boy: you are a map that knows how to use a com­put­er.

7. Harry says:

? what’s next?

8. Anand says:

7 comes next; you are list­ing prime num­bers and per­fect squares in numer­i­cal order.

9. . says:

This visu­al-spa­tial rea­son­ing ques­tion is sim­i­lar to those that appear in the UMAT.

10. Tomek says:

64, 5, -34, 654, 1, 871, -11, .… What comes next?

11. Philippe says:

I found anoth­er (awkward)pattern. If you add the two out­side num­bers from each row, sub­tract 1 from the sum and last­ly pick the end­ing dig­it of the num­ber, that would be your numer­i­cal val­ue in the mid­dle. If you lim­it the numer­i­cal vari­ables to sin­gle dig­it num­bers then the num­ber to the left in the last row would have been five. E.g.-

7+8=15–1=14 (four)