#21. Brain puzzle for the whole brain: The Blind Beggar

Exer­cise mul­ti­ple areas of your brain by try­ing to answer this rid­dle:

A blind beg­gar had a broth­er who died. What rela­tion was
the blind beg­gar to the broth­er who died?
“Broth­er” is not the answer.

Now, your brain’s turn. What is the answer?

tick tick tick tick…

still work­ing on it? …

Expla­na­tion (answer at bot­tom):
This puz­zle is very sim­ply stat­ed and yet stumps those who have not heard it before, because the lis­ten­er tends to make an implic­it assump­tion about gen­der — in this case that a blind beg­gar is a man.

Brain Use:
This puz­zle touch­es on ana­lyt­i­cal func­tions like abstract rea­son­ing, hypoth­e­sis test­ing, and implic­it assump­tions resid­ing in your frontal lobes, as well as your cre­ativ­i­ty in find­ing nov­el solu­tions to prob­lems and emo­tion­al mem­o­ry.

Answer:
The blind beg­gar was the sis­ter of her broth­er, who died.

1. yahobahne says:

wow, assump­tion is a pow­er­ful thing. we all do it and as a result many bias, dis­crim­i­na­tions and prej­u­dices are formed.

2. terrell owens says:

The beg­gar is obvi­ous­ly the sis­ter

good job-and wel­come!

4. Rhiannon says:

There is a sim­i­lar rid­dle that I heard a num­ber of years ago that remind­ed me of and helped me with this one: A man and his son are in a car acci­dent and both rushed to the hos­pi­tal with seri­ous injuries. The doc­tor who is about to oper­ate on the son says, “I can’t oper­ate on this boy; he is my son.” How is this pos­si­ble?

Hel­lo Rhi­an­non, that’s a good one. I’ll post it on its own-and we can post the answer, say, by Mon­day.

6. jacky says:

THIS RIDDLE REALLY HAD ME THINKING LOL

7. Lisbeth Laursen says:

Just found this great page! I am at my first year as a math teacher (grade 1–6) and have found a lot of inter­est­ing infor­ma­tion and things to try out! Thanks very much for all your work

🙂 Lis­beth, Den­mark

Glad to hear, Lis­beth! Feel free to share with us good teasers and exer­cis­es you may find.

9. rhan­non
    i know that one the answer is.….….…..
    the doc­tor was his moth­er

10. emina says:

i like this type of teas­er, and I’m look­ing for­ward in see­ing more of this!
    It’s actu­al­ly my first time to vis­it and I instant­ly got hooked. great blog!

11. Jess says:

well… i thought for about 10 secs… and then i got it 😀
    I’m 16..

12. kate says:

hmm…I don’t real­ly get this. Why couldn’t the beg­ger be a man? If he was a man, he could still have a Broth­er..?

13. Annemarie Lykke Hansen says:

sis­ter

14. Colleen Rae says:

The cor­rect answer should be — sib­ling.
    There is no evi­dence of gen­der.

Categories: Brain Teasers, Cognitive Neuroscience, Health & Wellness, Peak Performance, Professional Development, Technology, Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

All Slidedecks & Recordings Available — click image below

As seen in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, BBC News, CNN, Reuters, and more, SharpBrains is an independent market research firm and think tank tracking health and performance applications of brain science.