Mar 17, 2017
The future of personalized brain stimulation via enhanced cognitive-emotive profiles: Key neurotechnology patent #31
Today we highlight a fascinating 2008 patent describing how to combine a number of neurotechnologies (EEG feedback, TMS brain stimulation, monitoring/ training software) to help “upgrade” one’s cognitive-emotive profile.
U.S. Patent No. 7,460,903: Method and system for a real time adaptive system for effecting changes in cognitive-emotive profiles
- Inventor(s): Jaime A. Pineda, Brendan Z. Allison
- Technology Category: Hybrid
- Issue Date: December 2, 2008
The ‘903 patent describes coupling neuromonitoring with brain activity inducing technologies by combining techniques including EEG brainwaves, TMS devices, and a set of software tools to enhance brain functionality in adaptive and durable ways, via upgraded individual cognitive-emotive profiles. Some embodiments are directed towards wearable, portable headset versions of the invention. Despite what may be considered to be a somewhat short specification comprising just five illustration sheets and four pages of written material, the integration of employed technologies to create a bi-directional system and the potential benefits of enhanced mental well-being and/or improved treatment of specific brain disorders were among the factors that lead to making the ‘903 patent a key non-invasive neurotechnology patent.
A means and method for inducing a temporary physiological state-of-mind to effect persistent changes to the cognitive-emotive profile of an individual, which is adaptable for neurofeedback and “mental-state” therapeutic and non-therapeutic interventions. The system comprises an EEG Recording Module (ERM), a Neurodynamics Assessment Module (“NAM”), and a Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation module (“TMS”) for acquiring and manipulating bioelectrical and/or EEG data, defining a cognitive-emotive profile, and mapping the cognitive-emotive profile to selectively control transcranial magnetic stimulation to drive therapeutic and non-therapeutic stimulus interventions. A bi-directional feedback feature is provided to further enhance the performance of the system to effect prolonged changes.
Illustrative Claim 17. A real time adaptive system for effecting changes in the cognitive-emotive profiles of an individual comprising:
- signal acquisition means for acquiring an electroencephalogram (EEG) signal from the individual;
- neurodynamics assessment means for analyzing the EEG signal to establish a cognitive-emotive profile;
- transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) means responsive to the cognitive-emotive profile to controllably deliver brain stimulation to the individual and interactive means for effecting persistent changes which outlast the stimulation to the cognitive emotive profile and result in improve memory function or reduction or elimination of symptoms of illness.
To learn more about market data, trends and leading companies in the digital brain health space –digital platforms for brain/ cognitive assessment, monitoring and enhancement– check out this market report. To learn more about our analysis of 10,000+ patent filings, check out this IP & innovation neurotech report.