Aug 11, 2011
By: Alvaro Fernandez
Giffords’ recovery renews focus on coverage gap for veterans (Miami Herald):
– “Doctors and rehabilitation specialists have learned a great deal from the treatment of traumatic brain injuries in combat veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan. One in five veterans of those wars has suffered some form of traumatic brain injury, most commonly concussions from roadside bombs.”
– “Yet veterans’ health care doesn’t consistently cover cognitive rehabilitation therapy, the same therapy that’s helped Giffords and other well-known figures – such as Sen. Tim Johnson of South Dakota and ABC News correspondent Bob Woodruff – get their lives back to normal after major brain traumas.”
– “Cognitive rehabilitation can include speech and communication therapies, and therapies to boost memory and social skills and relearn routine tasks such as getting dressed and shopping at the grocery store.”
- 2009 meta analysis of the cognitive rehabilitation literature
- SharpBrains interview with Lee Woodruff on Bob Woodruff’s cognitive recovery process, which we included in The SharpBrains Guide to Brain Fitness to raise awareness of this important topic.