Sep 5, 2007
Interesting article: Want a job at Google? Try these brainteasers first (CNN)
Quote: “Seemingly random questions like these have become commonplace in Silicon Valley and other tech outposts, where companies aren’t as interested in the correct answer to a tough question as they are in how a prospective employee might try to solve it. Since businesses today have to be able to react quickly to shifting market dynamics, they want more than engineers with high IQs and good college transcripts. They want people who can think on their feet.”
Comment: What are those companies (Google, Microsoft, Amazon) after? Employees with good Executive Functions. You can try some of the fun teasers in the article:
1) How many golf balls can fit in a school bus?
- About 500,000, assuming the bus is 50 balls high, 50 balls wide, and 200 balls long
2) You’re shrunk and trapped in a blender that will turn on in 60 seconds. What do you do?
1. Use the measurement marks to climb out
2. Try to unscrew the glass
3. Risk riding out the air current
3) How much should you charge to wash all the windows in Seattle?
- Assuming 10,000 city blocks, 600 windows per block, five minutes per window, and a rate of $20 per hour, about $10 million
PS: Enjoy these 50 brain teasers to test your cognitive ability. Free, and fun for adults of any age!