Pattern Recognition Brain Teaser

Here’s a puzzle to test your ability to find a pattern and test it against more data.

In this table, each row across follows the same pattern of numbers. See if you can discern the pattern and fill in the missing number in the bottom row. For added challenge (or competition), time how long it takes you to complete the puzzle. Then, pass it along to someone else and see if they can solve it faster. The slower one has to cook dinner!

7 4 8
3 9 7
6 5 10
? 8 4

Executive functions, like planning, and spatial processing are handled by your frontal lobes.

Have you solved it yet? If not, here’s a hint:

If you read your figures like words in the West,
then multiply your efforts and subtract the rest.

Keep reading for the answer and solution.

(7×4)-8 = 20

(3×9)-7 = 20

(3x8)-4 = 20

The answer is 3.

More brain teaser games:

1. Beth_x says:

I think 7 lol 🙂 cyaa xx (i just guessed btw) haah! x

2. Michael Vogt says:

Blast! Why was the solution at the bottom of the page? I glanced at it before I had a chance to attempt the puzzle. Why not make it so you have to click to find the solution so you don’t accidentally see it?

3. Lmnop says:

Yay, I got 3 also. I’m not usually amazing with math, so I’m very surprised that I got it. But I solved it the exact same way as icanrule. Great minds think alike, I suppose 😉

4. Lmnop says:

Oh, and, as a random addition, I found another pattern. In the 1st and 3rd lines, the middle number is the lowest number, while the outside two are higher, and lines 2 and 4 are the opposite. That’s the first pattern I was trying to follow.

5. johnboy says:

i have streets but no pavements i have cities but no buildings i have forrests but no trees i have rivers yet no water what am i

6. Joseph Knecht says:

johnboy: you are a map that knows how to use a computer.

7. Harry says:

? what’s next?

8. Anand says:

7 comes next; you are listing prime numbers and perfect squares in numerical order.

9. . says:

This visual-spatial reasoning question is similar to those that appear in the UMAT.

10. Tomek says:

64, 5, -34, 654, 1, 871, -11, …. What comes next?

11. Philippe says:

I found another (awkward)pattern. If you add the two outside numbers from each row, subtract 1 from the sum and lastly pick the ending digit of the number, that would be your numerical value in the middle. If you limit the numerical variables to single digit numbers then the number to the left in the last row would have been five. E.g.-

7+8=15-1=14 (four)