#9. Visual Illusion Brain Teaser

What do you see?

Ambiguous Illusion

Keep looking at it …

Hint:
You should be able to perceive two different images (but probably not at the same time)

Brain science of what’s going on:
This image is an example of an ambiguous illusion — a picture or object that requires perceptual switching between the alternative interpretations of figure and ground. And although you may be able to switch back and forth to see one image or the other, your eyes will not let you see both at the same time.

Our visual perception is created by our brain’s interpretation in the cerebral cortex of visual information entering through the visual pathway. Our minds get actively involved in interpreting the perceptual input, rather than passively, objectively recording it…please remember that next time your have a strong disagreement with someone. You may both be facing the same exact reality but “seeing” it in different ways!

Answer:
The face of an Indian Chief or an Eskimo walking

Next brain teaser in SharpBrains’ top 25 series:

1. Jazz says:

PLs i don’t see anything else but a person’s side profile

Hello Jazz: try seeing the eskimo figure. A human figure in a white coat walking towards the right. In this view, what you see as the ear of that face is the right hand/ arm of the eskimo. What you see as the mouth is a little folding in the back of the eskimo’s white coat. Better?

3. ray says:

I don’t see ANYPLACE here that says “continue reading”….and it seems a lot of these say you can find and answer and there isn’t one. the one that asks you to find which shape fits says get the answer in “comment”…and nothing is there, you don’t get an answer if you post a comment either

Hello Ray: it says the answer is An Indian Chief or an Eskimo. In my previous comment I help see both options.

Will review other teasers to make sure the answers appear. Thanks

5. Lyle says:

“And although you may be able to switch back and forth to see one image or the other, your eyes will not let you see both at the same time.”

That statement is false. I instantly saw both images and I have no trouble seeing both of them at the same time.

Lyle: you may have a more evolved brain than most of us…

7. Mark says:

eskimo and indian

8. miss says:

im the same as lyle…i instantly saw two images and have no trouble seeing both at the same time :)

9. Aaron says:

I see an eskimo and the head of an indian.

10. Aaron says:

I can also see both at the same time =D It’s so cool, I never tried that before. Well miss, Lyle, and I all see them both at the same time, maybe it’s more common :)

11. gothgirl818 says:

i see an eskimo and n indian

12. Theofanis says:

I see one indian and one eskimo that he is looking to find something

13. Linda says:

I also saw the indian and the eskimo together immediately. In fact, I have to concentrate to see only one or the other. I don’t know if there’s any relationship, but I’m also good with audio/visual pallindrome recognition.

14. Theresa says:

Wow, i only saw the indian and could NOT for the life of me find the other picture. EVen when they told me what it was it took me a while and i have to STRAIN to see it. I guess that i just have a one track mind!

15. hanzel says:

i see an eskimo man..haha