#1. The Stroop Test: Great brain teaser to challenge your mental vitality and flexibility

stroop-testReady to test your mental vitality and flexibility?

Quick — say aloud what color you see in every word, NOT the word you read.

Go from left to right, from top to down. Ready. Set. Go!

—-

Not easy, right? This task is called the Stroop Test, and is used in neuropsychological evaluations to measure mental vitality and flexibility, since performing well requires strong attention, inhibition and self-regulation capability (also called executive functions).

Next brain teaser in SharpBrains’ top 25 series:

1. saif says:

Fun! blurring vision, for me taking off my glasses does the trick however, in my opinion its kinda cheating, as it defies the purpose

2. kdt says:

I found squinting meant i could only see the colors, then it was easy as pie. Cheating? Maybe, but still using the ol’ noggin 😀

3. Steve says:

If you simply remember not to read and pretend you are looking at a picture of colors, just state the next color that pops in your mind. Your mind will automatically say the right word if you only concentrate on the color. The problem most people have is that they try to read the word first (silently) and then decide if it corresponds to the right color before they say it out loud. At that point they have to change what they were going to say if it’s not the right word. That is why you can’t read it.

4. I never thought reading what you see is as difficult as saying what you see… Great stuff! I think I’ll go for more! 😀

5. Jerry says:

Got them all correct and I got faster as I went along….

6. Nick Maceus says:

Are there any studies comparing the performance of adult versus children?

Simply zoning in on colors and tuning out words & shapes, produces high accuracy and speed.

Great to see so many people exercising their brains 🙂

Nick, yes, there are. The full Stroop Test, administered by a professional, is in fact a normalized neuropsychological test, so there are published performance averages and ranges by age. In general, most people’s executive functions (including inhibition) peak in our late 20s, growing slowly beforehand, declining slowly afterward, and with significant variability inside age groups.

8. Aaron says:

That is not as easy as it looks.

9. ginny says:

no trouble atall

10. Darlene says:

omg that is so confusing but wierdly cool

11. brittany says:

this is horrible b/c u try to focus on the wor and it make your eyes hurt im still seeing blury

12. Bob says:

I found it easier if I went from right to left.

13. andrea hunter says:

this was awesome….. i had the colours and names correct in the first lines but as i went along i had to retract abit. then once i made the connection that the colours dont generally go with the names then it was smooth sailing…

14. Chemogirl says:

This was cute. I was fast until the colors didn’t match the words but I did not stop and went through smootly. My son ten years old stopped after the second mismatched word/color. He started laughing and wouldn’t finish it. 🙂

15. Maybury says:

why does saying it louder help?

16. kamil says:

motor sensory clusters forming associations with physical mouth, tongue and jaw movement of the act of enunciation; consolidating semblance of familiarity with the spoken words; thus more synapses take place and better memory

17. yoan911 says:

fun game

18. yoan911 says:

kinda confusing after stare at it for a while

19. Joi says:

It was easy toward the beginning, but a couple of rows into it, it got trickier.

Thanks for the mental stimulation!

20. Gary says:

This is VERY cool. It is not unlike one of the games found in Lumosity by the way.. It’s a tough one.

21. Jennifer says:

I just looked at the last letter of each word, trying not to get distracted by the word itself.

22. jean says:

I learned many years ago the best way to go into these kinds of tests is to read the instructions with total focus twice before starting. It makes a huge difference in what your brain accepts. A c
    atholic school must for everything being done (work or play) whether you thought you knew the inctructions or not.

23. jean says:

24. Rebekah says:

The objective behind the brain teaser is to exercise your attention span.Finding an easier way to go through it for example blurring your vision simply defeats the purpose. I find myself getting better at it with simply more practice. Timing myself proves my progress.

25. rq says:

I took a test like this as part of cognitive testing when my doctor thought my medication was having an ill effect on my memory, etc. I had no problem doing the test this way but when they had me say the colours and not the words (or X’s), I had a hard time with it.