#25. More brain teaser games for job interviews

Let’s exercise our frontal lobes (that deal with planning, among other things), and parietal lobes (calculations) with some quick brain teaser games of the kind often used in job interviews.

Please try to guess the answers to the questions below (you don’t need to know, or research, the right answer, simply try to “guesstimate” an appropriate range).

Questions:

1) How many golf balls can fit in a school bus?

2) In 1999, how were these baby boy names ranked by pop­u­lar­ity: Kevin, Jose, Hugh.

3) What is the weight of a large com­mer­cial airplane?

Answers:

1)  About 500,000, assum­ing the bus is 50 balls high, 50 balls wide, and 200 balls long.

2) Rank­ings of baby boy names in 1999, accord­ing to Social Secu­rity Admin­is­tra­tion: 1. Jose (#30), 2. Kevin (#32), 3. Hugh (#830).

3) For a Boe­ing 747:
– Empty: around 400,000 pounds (lbs), or 181 met­ric tons
– Max­i­mum Take­off Weight: around 825,000 pounds, or 374 met­ric tons
– For con­text, the weight of an empty Hum­mer is 8,600 pounds.

We have more brain teasers, brain games and illusions!

1. Adam says:

1. 30 pairs
    2. Barbara, Emily, Amber, Tracy
    3. Kevin, Jose , Gary, Hugh
    4. 4 thousand tons

2. Elona says:

30 pairs of shoes? Is that a misprint?

1) We don’t know how many pairs you have had 🙂

3) For a Boeing 747:

Empty: around 400,000 pounds (lbs), or 181,000 metric tons
    Maximum Takeoff Weight: around 825,000 pounds, or 374,000 metric tons

The weight of an empty Hummer is 8,600 pounds

Elona, well, I guess it depends on Adam’s age, shopping habits…and gender 🙂

5. Chad W Smith says:

How many pairs did you expect Adam to have? 100 – 12?

I’m a 29 year old male, and I guesstimate I’ve had about 40 shoes in my life (that’s 20 pair). I have about 6 to 8 now, and I only wear one pair. But I’ve had all of them (except the ones I’m wearing now) for a number of years. I wore one pair of shoes – and only one – for a total of 7 years. My $40 Nike High Tops.

6. Magnus B says:

Just a remark: 400,000 pounds is about 181,000 kg, which is 181 metric tons.

And with an inaccurate number like this, you should really round off the converted value even more, to suggest 400,000 lb ~= 200,000 kg.

7. Mitch says:

– about 50
    – Emily, Amber, Tracy, Barbara
    – Hugh, Jose, Gary, Kevin
    – 100,000 kg

Those are my guesstimations.

8. Jen says:

Lol, I guesstimate that I’ve had about 200 shoes… they said shoes, not pairs, I’m 28 which is almost 30 (ugh), at least a 3 pair AVERAGE per year (if not more)… approx. 200, maybe more.

May I observe some gender differences, perhaps? 🙂